Brampton - Police from the 11 Division Break and Enter Unit would like to remind
residents with the upcoming spring vacation season to take steps to protect
their homes while they are away.
Both detached houses and town-homes have been targeted in the past,
according to 11 Division Break and Enter investigators.
Residents of Mississauga should be aware of this activity. If you see
someone acting in a suspicious manner on your street, or believe a crime is in
progress, call 9-1-1 immediately.
Peel Regional Police would like to offer the following safety tips to the
• Ask a trusted friend or neighbour to look in on the house daily. Ask
that they pick up flyers and mail and invite them to park in your driveway;
• Let other trusted neighbours know your routine and let them know what
visitors they can expect to see. Ask them to call police if they see anything
or anyone unusual;
• Arrange for snow shovelling of the driveway, walkway, and snow covered
vehicles to be cleaned off;
• Make sure your answering machine leaves the impression that you are at
home. If you do not have an answering machine, turn down the ring volume of the
phone so it cannot be heard outside the house;
• Be aware of who lives in your neighbourhood. If you see someone who
does not belong, alert police;
• Disable the garage door opener;
• While away or on vacation, always give your home a lived-in look by
using light timers, adjusted for the correct times;
• Use a safety deposit box for valuables.
Police also offer some general crime prevention tips:
• Change your routine, if possible;
• If you have a second vehicle, leave it in the driveway
• Keep valuables out of sight;
• Maintain your property to provide clear sightlines of the front door to
• Mark your valuable property with an identification number;
• Ensure your doors are secure and reinforced.
To find out about crime trends in your area, go to our Crime Mapping
feature by following the link at http://www.peelpolicemaps.ca/.
Anonymous tips may be submitted to Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS
(8477), or www.peelcrimestoppers.ca, or by sending a text message to CRIMES
(274637) with the word “PEEL” and then your tip.